006 Limerick Grand Prix 1935 Sexton Street, Punch's Cross and Wi
Three marvellous and hitherto unpublished pictures of Carey’s Road during the Grand Prix of 1935. The pictures came courtesy of Martin Bourke of the Limerick Classic and Vintage Car Club who staged a re-enactment of the race on Sunday, August 1, 2010, to commemorate the great event which was held in 1935, 1936 and again in 1938. Pictured top left is Carey’s Road as few will remember it. The houses on the left are gone more than fifty years. Bottom left shows the same street but lower down the road. Interestingly, the tall building in the middle of the picture (bottom left) is the only building left standing after the area was cleared. It is now known as the Imperial Bar. Pictured bottom right is the racer, Bobby Bairde, as he rounds the corner and into Carey’s Road.
On Page 5 is a classic picture of a long-gone Lower Carey’s Road as the 1936 race passes through
Pictures: Martin Bourke