005 Todds O'Connell Street
This picture of Todds, c. 1920, though not in great condition, is well worth including in this book. It was one of the most beautiful buildings in Limerick in its time. Founded by William Todd and Archibald Murray, they set up business in Dublin, Belfast and Cork. They opened their OÕConnell Street emporium in 1899 which was then known as the Limerick Warehouse Company.
On the 25th of August, 1959, the entire building was gutted by fire. Indeed, at one stage there were fears that the entire block could be engulfed in flames. The more modern building that stands on the site was opened in 1962. The Todds name was discontinued in 2002 and the business is now known as Brown Thomas