011 Limerick Leader offices O'Connell Street Limerick
This is a marvellous picture taken outside the Limerick Leader offices c. 1952. The paper was founded in 1889 by a group of Limerick and Clare businessmen with Michael J. Keating its first editor. A year later John MacEnery was mentioned as editor. He spent nine months in prison for his outspoken editorials concerning a man who had taken over another man’s farm after that gent had been evicted. He refused to recant and went to prison. Another editor, Christopher O’Sullivan, after a row in the boardroom, resigned and founded the Limerick Weekly Echo in 19 Sarsfield Street. Andy MacEvoy was another editor as was a Mr. Gibbons. George McDonagh was at the helm in 1902 and Con Cregan succeeded him in 1919. Incredibly, Mr. Cregan remained at that post until 1960 when he was succeeded by Patrick J. Fitzgibbon, former editor of the Limerick Chronicle which the Limerick Leader purchased in 1952. Pat Comyn was in the hot seat until 1965 when Tom Tobin succeeded him until 1970. Brendan Halligan held the post from then until 2005 when he retired. Alan English, who began his career with the paper in the 1980s, is currently the editor.
The Buckley family’s interest in the paper began in the early 1900s when Jeremiah Buckley purchased the paper and immediately moved to 54 O’Connell Street. The business was sold to the Leinster Leader Group in December 2002, ending a century of Buckley family involvement. They later sold it on to Johnston Press Group in September 2005. They are the current owners.
Included in this picture are Leo McInerney, a driver with the company, with Jimmy Kenyon and Mick Casey loading the van. Note, too, the telephone number