Better known today as Dunne’s Stores, Sarsfield Street, Garryowen House was home to cigarette manufactures Craven ‘A’, a cork tipped cigarette. The premises later housed Stokes and McKiernan’s. The premises were idle for many years before Dunne’s Stores took over the site to build their state of the art store. George Spillane began the business in 1829 and in over 120 years of business there had never been a strike and Mr. Spillane, grandson of the founder, was quoted as having never dismissed an employee. When Messrs Murray of Dublin acquired the Spillane interest, business began to slow down, machinery was moved to Dublin and eventually on the 28th of June, 1958, Spillanes closed their doors for the last time.